Monday, February 11, 2013

Kind of motivated....

Well the past couple days I've actually been getting some work done and rediscovering my love for inking lineart...it's not full-on obsessive motivation, more like when you see a fluorescent light flickering and buzzing, but at least its something. Right now I'm polishing up a skateboard design for Karvt that will be laser etched on a super limited amount of skatedecks. I've had the project on the back burner for about two years now and whenever I would sit down to work on something I would usually sketch for a day or so and then usually start to over-rationalize whether it was a good or bad design and eventually just talk myself out of it....this is a bad habit I've formed over the years where it's like I've kind of lost my nerve to just take chances and draw whatever I wanted to. Now it's like it's a game of "What kind of merchandise can I create with this design.", "Will this be popular with people?" "Could it eventually be turned into a character?". I think what happened is back in 2008 I was probably do the most work of my life and I had probably my highest profile gig ever. And I think that after that I told myself I couldn't screw around anymore, because there was a spotlight being shown on me and if I produced a weak piece of art, I would be exposed as a fraud. And this really mind-fucked me to the point where I'm scared to take chances. So getting back to the skatedeck design, I kind of just said screw it, came up with a tight sketch for my design in about two hours and am just going to go for it. Reaction to sketches have been good, but most of all I really like it and can't wait to see it in final form......stay tuned. p.s. weather outside is windy but pretty warm, so I'm going to start adding walking back into the mix. Over the past month and a half I've been making some changes in my diet in case that was the source for my artists block - quit drinking pop (but switched to coffee) and have been doing a lot of my own cooking rather then eating canned, microwave stuff. I don't feel awesome yet mainly because I think my body is still detoxing from all the crap I've put in it the last decade or so....

No comments:

Post a Comment